Tuesday 2 August 2011

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies -- Seth Grahame Smith

ISBN: 9781594743344


I was intrigued by this book and, I have to say, I quite liked the idea of Elizabeth Bennet fighting zombies. Let's face it, if she can slay Mr. Darcy with her sharp wit, what zombie stands a chance? I was expecting an intelligent adaptation of Pride and Prejudice that humorously showed the characters we love more vividly whilst under this kind of duress.


However, this was entirely not the case. I felt that Grahame-Smith held Austen in contempt while he was writing this. It is clear that he was simply trying to make the original text more exciting by including a gory fight with zombies whenever a few characters go anywhere. He has no regard for the manners and customs of Regency England, with huge anachronisms which, though I didn't expect this to be a realistic novel, don't make sense within the plot. Particularly when the Bennet girls casually go to Japan for martial arts training.


As for humour, the pictures in my head of the scenes I was imagining before having cracked the cover were far more entertaining than the actual book. And not even the first pun of 'balls' was funny, let alone one every three pages.


I thought the drawings throughout were quite skilful, though.


Rating: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment